Monday 25 May 2009

Rivi's Grade 4 win at Nottingham May 09

Well, this was our second grade 4 show. And crikey did Rivi’s need her pilot to get it together, on Saturday there was some great courses set, but I had a hard case of ‘doubt’ an mental teaser that really has no place in sport. I seemed to get this each time we progress, will I be good enough to handle my Superoli? The doubt stemmed from the concern of not having trained a particular sequence. I knew the doubt was irrational, but the human brain it can be hard to train! ;-) And let’s face it in agility; it is unlikely you can train for every sequence. That is what makes agility exciting you never know what the judge is going to set. After Rivi, indulging me on Saturday, I thought I really need to do my PMA, focus, repeat our strengths and believe. And we achieved 3 places in three rounds of which one was first place in Grade 4 Jumping.

Marc, teased me then, “oh you train those sequences then?” which of caused much laughter and made me realised that some bits I had not, the difference was my belief and conviction that we were giving it our best shot. “thank you, Darling” Once again I must thank Lanny Bassham and his book, for agility training is so focused on teaching obstacles, the psychological elements – the mental game is often overlooked both for the canine and the human. Some books can have such a profound and beneficial influence. I find them terrific guides in my aspiration to have a fabulous journey with great goals for myself and my guys.

Congratulations to everyone I know that had great results over the weekend with their guys. Special mentions to Nicky Garrett and Indiana - OBay Truly Driven, who won I believe their 14th Championship Ticket. They are just fabulous to watch. And another up and coming OBay Team Karen Cole and Todd – OBay One Helluva Charmer who had a great result too – a combined 4-7 win.

6 comments:

  1. oh my! There's me and nellie feeling a bit clever for moving to Grade 4 this weekend! Well done you guys.H and N-Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh congratulations, that is great news :-)It seems like it was a bumper weekend for results, yahoooo! Like the shorthand it is like a crytic clue, I have read too much Dan Brown LOL x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Congratulations! A very nice run. Is grade 4 the highest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you and nope it is not the highest - we have to get all the way to grade 7 to be Championship level!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you have to win out to move up correct? not just qualify?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that is right you have to win. So for progression through Grades 1 to 6 you qualify by either winning 1 agility or 3 jumpings at each grade. Then to get from grade 6 to 7 you need 2 jumping wins and 2 agility wins.

    So for Rivi to get to Grade 5 we need to win a total of 3 jumpings or 1 agility.

    However, me and Rivi were able to start at grade 3 as grade 1 to 2 are specificially for those handlers who not previously won into grade 3.

    Yep, it is a long process! Hope what I written makes sense.....

    ReplyDelete