Sunday 15 January 2012

The project contines...the AF commences

Yipee - Marc's practical skills have been used well today and he has completed the rubberisation of the DW :-) so will be able to start using it in a few days. Whilst this was going on I thought best try and introduce the concept of the running a-f. And bugger me - despite Rivi not having been on one since prestbury park and the fact it was on its lowest height she still 'froze' the blasted agility gremlin of a 'stutter' was still there. I tried to 'play' around with it but I felt I was in danger of losing all the progress made with the DW - yikes - not good at all

So no free a-f for me...how can I eliminate/terminate/suppress this a-f gremlin??!! I dug out our 'baby' af plank that Rivi always liked, and she went over it, but not mirroring the new behaviour learnt on the DW. So I needed her to think of running and still make definite contact with the contact zone too. So I came up with the following way to do it.



The key is for me is:
  • it resulted in success in terms of achieving my initial goal for training a running AF i.e movement
  • it provides me with a foundation to build on
  • and as said before the ultimate for me is always that my Rivi is a happyoli
  • that I enjoy and get a really sense of satisfaction in being constructive and creative in training - or just having sheer luck that it worked :-)
Its early days I know and who knows if it right or not but at the moment it working for us - we have had 3 great sessions and even if I move the 'send around' cone Rivi absolutely achieves the behaviour :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christine,

    Just love reading about your re-training of the contacts as I am trying to do the same myself after tolerating really slow decents for the past two years.

    I have also found it is difficult to break an already established behaviour too but there are some other things that I have also noted.

    a) sometimes the aid, (manners miner) teaches the behaviour, rather than the repetitions, take that away and the dog goes back to what it did before; This was even if I moved it 2/3 jumps on and put it out beforehand.

    b)Sometimes if the aid wasn't there the dog watched me intently for any body cues for clues even though I tried to alter body movements on every run.

    c) The actual piece of equipment, the A frame and D/W, brought back the old behaviour in itself. eg I see this and then do that on it.

    As I could see my dog doing a mixture of all the above three I felt it necessary to put in a cue word for the new contact behaviour.

    Just my observations.

    Regards,

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather
    Thank you for your observations, retraining deeply embedded behaviours is really thought provoking and an exciting challenge.
    Cheers
    Christine

    ReplyDelete