Friday 20 March 2009

Zev's Training Update

Zev paid great attention to me round the rings at mid-downs, he is my excitable showman, but that works for me and as a trainer /instructor /conduit of information, mentor or guide. (Take your pick!) I get off on that buzz of channeling the appropriate behaviors and 'banging' in the reward. He has now been introduced to medium height jumps and last week did a full height dw and he has generalised his foundation targeting on cardboard and my replica board that lays flat on the ground. However he is needing to sort out footing as he is so fast. Way to go Zevy... after Easter I hope to teach him the poles and sew-saw.

Zev is starting to pick some things up real quick, I free shaped the tyre about 3 weeks ago with reward marks for interest, proximity, paw touch, head thru, body thru and I have never seen a dog just so get it, so quickly. Love training this way, it is a delight in seeing the resulting confident and 'can do' attitude that develops from this approach. He now really gets off on tuggy toys, especially the cool kongs and has food as a reward for excellent tugging and when learning new tasks.

His obedience, is coming along real nice, we achieve our first proper about turn. As he is so fine I have concerns that I may tread on him, as his position is now real tight and his height means I have no margin of error. So now training myself to walk with my toes turned inwards to minimise the risk. He is getting the DC (real cute) and his retrieve I need to revisit training wise, as the removal of a canine & incisor means that the dd is 'sitting' crooked in his mouth. Will have to send Caroline on the hunt for a thicker bar and a thinner bar and let Zev select what he prefers. (Pretty please!)

Thank you to Bernadette, who not only gave us this lovely OBay fleece, but remembered the pups birthday and gave them all a prezzy :-) Now I am torn between wearing the fleece now or saving it for Zev's first show which won't be until September - OHH not sure if I can wait that long! Last weekend we met most of Zev's new sisters and they were all so scrummy, and little Itzy at the moment has Zevy's face, fluffy coat and characteristics, blimey I just wanted to bring her on home. Good thing she is not available - otherwise the temptation, I dread to think. Any rate for the next few years Rivi, Zev and Nuts will have my undivided attention.....

1 comment:

  1. All sounds great. I can't wait to see him in action. I taught the tyre to Zeki in exactly that way. It's brilliant. I wish I could follow your lead and food reward for tugging. I am useless at this :)

    I think you can wear your fleece now! I wore mine at Crufts. Must make sure it's not worn out for their first show though!

    ReplyDelete