Wednesday 7 January 2009

Agility Training - Trying New Things

Today, I have tried my new a-f training and it is great. Rivi, went to do a perfect stop at the line break between the blue and white. I think it is the sheer depth of the contact size, and possibly perhaps, that she sees the line as the positional cue, rather than the line between the end of the contact and the ground. But a little free-shaping later and she was driving down to the end. She has not stopped half way on the full size equipment, but I was not convince, that her confidence was leaping forward as I would expect. She has wagged her tail a few times, but I wanted or felt their needed to be more conviction in the behaviour. Zev found it all a 'hoot' and he saw it differently and was straight down to the end. He seems to have generalised from the my bits of cardboard to this swish bit of a-f. Although he wants to do more, than I will let him. Early days, Zevvy Man.......early days.

Having a real high with challenging and moving my training and understanding forward. Another is learning from the Susan Salo - Jumping Foundation DVD. It is great, it contains so much information and I feel so humbled by the sheer knowledge that she has built up and shared. It is serious viewing, and lightbulbs were pinging off in my brain. Last night I did the first element, and with Rivi, Zev and Big, and it was not jumping it is focus on the task, facilitating the landing, taking off, and drive to the reward, without jumping. It was fascinating to watch our guys learning curves, doing the exercise as they were having a go with so much confidence and rapidly gaining technique.

p.s A couple of people kindly posted complimentary comments, but doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hit delete instead of publish. Please accept my apologies, I clearly need to train my fingers better ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment