Wednesday 15 April 2009

Groovey Weekend at Dog Vegas Easter 2009

Funny Vegas, conjures up images of sunshine and bohemian times. The reality chilly, drizzly but despite the lack of promised sunshine, a lovely show. The showground layout means that you can take your young 'uns around the ring and sit on the surrounding grass banks without them getting over awed. And with the oldies to chomp on cool kongs and chilling socially, it is totally great, especially with waterproofs and doggy rain coats. Four days of competing with three runs a day, I was really excited about this as it would be an excellent experience for me and the Rivi to gain much needed experience outside on grass. And it is so exciting to run a dog that is up to 3 runs a day, Rivi my gazelle in disguise!

Friday was an 'if only' day we did a storming round until the last hurdle and then she turned around to look for me, and my affirmation to her came to late and we had a run by. Which meant faults. But she did so much else, there was so much I was so proud of. Great turns, weaves, contacts and responses to handling. Saturday we were placed, but the start ups were hard, her eyes being all over the place. Was I losing connexion? How can i help her and how can I help me help her, as we continue this critical start to our agility career? Friday and Saturday, I tossed and turned thru' the night as I tried to think it through. Then LB came to my rescue, fortunately I had packed the book, and I had planned to re-read it over Easter thinking it would be a good thing to do. And there he said in Chapter 1, about going in with the attitude and belief to win. And that is what I had lost sight of, going in with the view to giving it our best shot. It does not mean that it will necessarily happen every time, but what is does do is maximise performance in terms of attitude, focus and belief. I was so busy worrying about courses, I had detoured from my core attitude which is to savour and tackle every run, and at the same time having a great time with my bestest team mate. Sunday morning, we went in to win and the fantastic Babyoli, won the agility and jumping, we are now grade 4.

I have the jumping win on twice as in the first run the timing failed! I was really proud of us both doing again a second time, we both remained cool ;-) and composed and did it all again. Then would you believe it the agility run is not on vid, my camera man was on other duties!!!! Rivi's total tally was for a couple of places, 2 x 2nds and 2 x 1sts. Way to go Babyoli, thank you xxx

Many congratulations to the OBay sheltie gang for having a very successful weekend along with many others, including Rivi's sisters Be-Bop and Dolly. Well dones to all.

7 comments:

  1. Well done Chrissie and Rivioli. Wonderful results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such smooth handling! The threadles look like fun. Wish we had them in AKC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, she was just lovely :-), and why no threadles in the AKC?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know. It's against the rules. I practice them a lot (alternate between serping and threadling)just because they are so much fun. I think USDAA allows them but you don't see them much.

    The agility courses in the UK look like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sure are, you never know what you are going to get at a show, which is why they are exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Rivi! Amazing how a little positive thinking goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely - positivity rules :-)

    ReplyDelete