Sunday 19 April 2009

Weekend at Home - discovering Clothier

After an intense 4 days of competing last weekend, we had this weekend at home. Yesterday was sunny and cold, but as the guys enjoy chilling in the garden, I snuckled into my ski wear, took out the deck chair and braved the elements. Apart from the chill it was one of the those perfect evenings, the sun slowly retiring for the night, the spring flowers and cherry blossom in their prime. The guys contentedly chomping on their chews or following the dance of a bumble bee through the flower bed. At last, I had a chance to start reading 'Bones Would Rain from the Sky' by Suzanne Clothier. I had come across this book from the OBay blog and was intrigued - but it was out of print - however a search on Amazon, sourced me my copy as it was back in print. Bernadette -Thank you for the reading tip
I only read 40 pages, and it was profound to me, there on page 12 and I quote directly from the book:-
'Most of all, this book is for those who would journey through life with dogs and other animals as their fellow travelers, and in doing so, perhaps discover themselves'
I was not sure about the word pray, so I subsituted that in my mind with hope and that worked for me. I totally got the journey and about the training and trying to do it a better way. Her benchmark (my interpretation) that she evolved was to see in the animal's eyes:-
''........to find the clear light of understanding and being understood, the light of joy and confidence and trust"
So often people seek to critize or blame the dog which is always stems from poor training or lack of understanding, and a lack of compassion. Why dogs are expected to be so perfect, and get everything right, and we humans rarely are makes no sense at all?! I look forward to reading the rest of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment